Saturday, November 9, 2013

Before You Jump Head First...


I've noticed that love can be difficult. Difficult in a way that's comparable to a classroom full of two year old children, who've just been told Santa doesn't exist, the Easter Bunny is retired, and all you get for Halloween this year are tooth brushes and dental floss. I'll let you take a minute to let that sink in...

I suppose my point is that it's so funny how various people come into our lives at different times for different reasons. Some make a world of sense and are designed as roots in your life. Others are never what you thought you'd allow yourself to encounter, but that experience and their memories still outline the perimeter of your life anyway. And some of us encounter a love so devastating, it makes you question if you'd ever be able to open yourself up again to anyone. Unfortunately, I think I've been exposed to all of these relational concepts and it hasn't proven to be easy to go through. I think I've felt lost for a few years and I'm just now starting to get my bearings again. And so, love is difficult.

Sometimes we have an idea of a person or a relationship - what it should be and who with. What it should consist of. What it should feel like. Oh, how we've been influenced by media and entertainment. Honestly, what books and movies have a right to regurgitate our understanding of how, where, and what love should look and feel like? Do we not all go in our own direction,  down our own path? Doesn't it look and feel different for all of us? I mean, I'd like the fairy tale. I'd like the romantic comedy starring Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock. And now that I think about it, perhaps we will get our movie based love - it just won't look exactly like Hollywood portrays it, and we'll have to be ok with that.

I feel now, in today's society it's rare to find people that just want to take the time to get to know one another, before jumping in head first based on particular attractions. It's dangerous, and many people get hurt that way. It would be nice to bring it down a few notches, conduct ourselves like the kids in the 1950's. I want the sweet gestures and outings. I want the ferris wheel  ride at the carnival with cotton candy, the kiss under the stars, and to sport the letter jacket so everyone knows I'm taken. Those were the good times, that old fashion love. Where has that gone? Why don't people take the time to care? What's happen to this generation and why don't we seek something more out of people - out of ourselves?

I've been guilty of falling into societal norms, in regards to how dating and "relationships" have evolved and how we've conducted ourselves getting there. It hasn't worked thus far, so I think taking a lesson from our elders might suit us well here. It is important to take time to really digest a person, inside and out before jumping into something [relationships, bedrooms, you know]. What's the rush anyway? Are we all in a hurry to grow up, get married, and have babies? You're building a foundation [or at least you should be], should you not be 1,000% certain you're doing it with the right person on every level, as oppose to convenience or simple attractions?

 I encourage others to look at someone in depth. Don't just get to know their body, but their soul. I feel people are only as good as their intentions, and so, it is something we should take our time getting to know. After all, we are preparing ourself for an investment of our love - we need to be conscious that it fits in all the right areas before we jump in head first!


No comments:

Post a Comment